January 10, 2014

Detroit area QB on the radar

One of the class of 2014 in-state players that Michigan State is taking a close look at is Giovanni Rescigno of Warren De La Salle High School. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound quarterback just completed a solid junior season and is now looking to decide where he will continue his education and playing career. SpartanMag.com has some details.

The last few years the quarterback spot at De La Salle High School was manned by current Michigan Wolverine Shane Morris. This fall, Rescigno took over the quarterback position full time and his play has the attention of several colleges. We spoke to Rescigno and he provided us with some details about his senior season and the teams that are keeping in contact with him.

"I've talked to Eastern Michigan's new coach a couple times and I am setting up a date to visit there," he said. "I have offers from Saginaw Valley, and Wayne State, but that is it so far. I've talked to Coach Salem at Michigan State before the game. I have also talked with Coach Blackwell a couple times and told me to keep in touch with them too."

Rescigno is very athletic for a player his size. This fall he made plays with his arm and his legs for De La Salle leading them to a 6-4 record against one of the the toughest schedules in the state. We asked him about his senior statistics and what type of training he is doing to improve his skills.

"This fall I had 1396-yards passing with 15 touchdowns and I also rushed 512-yards and 5 touchdowns," Rescigno said. "I do a lot of quarterback training. I have my quarterback coach from school that I train with 3-4 times a week and workout throughout the week too. I did play basketball the past 3 years. but I took off this year because of football."

As of this point the Spartans do not have a quarterback for the class of 2014. It is very possible that the Spartans will look to have Rescigno come in as a preferred walk-on who could earn an offer in the near future. Watching former walk-ons like Kyler Elsworth, Trevon Pendleton and Jack Conklin make huge contributions in the Rose Bowl is testament to just how important bringing in players who can eventually earn a scholarship is to overall program success.
We asked Rescigno about that possibility and his thoughts on Michigan State.

"Yeah I have thought about that," he said. "I am going set up a visit and talk about it more with the coaches. It's the dead period right now so after the 17th I think I can visit. I've always been a Spartan fan and would love the opportunity because I believe I could earn a scholarship in the future. Hopefully it can work out!"

Looking at the Spartan roster it is obvious just how important the walk-on program is. Mark Dantonio has indicated that players who contribute on the field will be on scholarship. Every year multiple players are rewarded with scholarships due to making the two deep. It is very possible that Rescigno will be afforded that same opportunity if he so chooses.

Rescigno is a unique prospect due to the fact that he has not played a lot in high school. What that means is that his best football is likely ahead of him. SpartanMag.com will be sure to keep in contact with him over the coming weeks and report the details.

Matt Dorsey's Take: As many know, quarterback Chris Durkin de-committed from Michigan State due to being worried about competing with Connor Cook. If the Spartans do not add a scholarship signal-caller to the class, you could not ask for a better situation for a walk-on.


...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!